Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A checklist a day

One of my goals this year is to enter a checklist into eBird for every day of the year, meaning that by the end of the year I will have at least 365 checklists for 2012 (but probably far more than this), hopefully from numerous locations! Another goal (although this will be a bit more difficult as the year goes on) is to not enter a single 'X'! So far I have been doing well, but we aren't even a month in yet so we'll see how that holds up.

If you are wondering 'What's eBird?', I urge you to check out ebird.org (link on the sidebar)! It is a great website for entering and viewing data, and the fact that you can keep track of your lists (for free) is an added benefit! Since I am now officially a volunteer for eBird (reviewer for a few Ontario counties), I thought I'd do some advertising here.

I mostly bring this up as I have been encouraging birders in the Sault area to enter their sightings to eBird, and as Mike Burrell pointed out on his blog (link on the sidebar), Algoma has an abnormally high amount of checklists entered. In light of this, I'd just like to thank everyone who's entered checklists, and if you haven't yet, please do! Maybe we can get into the 'red zone' by next year.

Oh yeah, the quiz - please give it a shot! I'll put up the answer at the end of the month. My hint to you is that the best score so far is 2/4 (1/3 for people that don't like gulls).

Here is a picture of the Toronto skyline (from Jan. 7) to add some colour.


No comments: