Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bigbying again plus hawkwatching

Biked down to the Locks and Bellevue Park again early this morning, where I met up with Ken again. Not as much around as yesterday, managed 48 species from 6:30-9:00. The new speedometer/odometer works well though, I biked 12.3 km this morning (took a different route from yesterday) at an average speed of 19.5 km/h, still don't know how far I walked though. Added Tree Swallow to the year list at Bellevue, plus saw quite a few Pied-billed Grebes around. Other than that, the same species as yesterday, minus a few. This afternoon I took Ken's advice and did a hawkwatch from my house, sitting up on my roof from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. It was nice and sunny, but hot...26ºC is not what I'm used to at this point in the year. Ended up wearing shorts and sandals up on the roof! Anyway, while up there I added 6 species to my yard list, and saw quite a bit. Here are the highlights:

Raptors (in order of obs.)
Sharp-shinned Hawk** - 9
Turkey Vulture - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Rough-legged Hawk** - 1 light phase
Merlin - 1
Bald Eagle - 1 juv.
Broad-winged Hawk - 4
American Kestrel** - 1
Osprey** - 1
Total: 23 individuals of 9 sp.
Non-raptor:
Sandhill Crane - 11+25+10+21+2+3 = 72 total
Common Merganser** - 1
Common Loon - 1 flying due south...?
Killdeer** - 1
Yellow-rumps - 2
Chipping Sparrow - 1

No comments: