Friday, January 2, 2009

The Day After

So, after yesterday's excitement, I decided to head out again, this time a bit more locally. I went down to the Locks at 3:30 this afternoon (yes, I know...late start) and found - among the more common species - a Red-necked Grebe, a Greater Scaup, and a Hoary Redpoll, all new for the year, and Greater Scaup was new for my winter list. Even more locally, I had around 40 Pine Siskins in the back yard today, along with one very brightly coloured individual, I'm not sure if it's just more pigmented or if it's a different subspecies. Also had a flock of 7 White-winged Crossbills hanging around the yard, my first ones around here since 2004.

On another note, my 2007 http://www.freewebs.com/ontariobirds/2007.htm and 2008 http://www.freewebs.com/ontariobirds/2008.htm year lists are up for anyone who is interested! Lifers are in blue.

Weird Siskin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wing and tail patterns remind of the congeneric Greenfinch Carduelis chloris,.